Bankruptcy in the UK if you are not Resident

Go Bankrupt in the UK if not currently residentGoing Bankrupt in the UK often means debt in your local county is written off. However you need to be resident before you can apply.

Want help to go Bankrupt? Give us a call (0800 077 6180) or complete the form below to speak to one of our experts

Why is Bankruptcy in the UK attractive?

If you go bankrupt in the UK the process will normally only last for 1 year. If you are required to make payments towards your debts these will only last 3 years. After that any outstanding debt is written off.

Unsecured debt you owe in other countries is normally included. Creditors in other EU countries are always bound in. This is also often the case for debts owed outside the EU in countries such as Canada.

Section 426 of the Insolvency Act and the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) provides for Cross Court Co-Operation between the UK and many countries outside the EU.

As long as you are living in England & Wales you do not have to remain in the UK after you go bankrupt. You can move to any other country without issue. You do however have to remain in contact with the Official Receiver.

How to go Bankrupt if you are not currently Resident

You do not have to be a British National to go Bankrupt in the UK. However you have to be resident here. The law requires that the UK must be your Centre of Main Interest (COMI).

In other words if you want to benefit from the advantages of going bankrupt in the UK you are going to have to move here.

If you used to live in the UK but now live in another EU country you are no longer eligible to go Bankrupt here unless you move back. Given you now live outside the EU the option is available for up to 3 years.

If you are planning to come to the UK to go bankrupt you should settle in either England or Wales. In Scotland and Northern Ireland the process of going Bankrupt is different and there is restriction on your movement afterwards.

After you move you cannot make your bankruptcy application straight away. The rules state that you first have to live here for the greater part of the last 6 months. In theory this is just 3 months and 1 day. However 6 months is a sensible minimum.

What proof will you need of your UK Residency?

When you move to the UK you will need to apply for a National Insurance number. Given your residency is legal this is not difficult. You will have to provide this number when submitting your bankruptcy application.

There are various things that will help you prove that you are resident in the UK. One of the best is to open a UK bank account. The statements you receive will show your UK address and local transactions will prove you are living here.

It is useful if you have a rent agreement and are registered to pay Council Tax. However this is not essential.

It is not necessary to be employed. You can go bankrupt if you are being supported by family and friends. You could even work abroad. However your income must be paid into your UK bank account and your residential address must be the UK.

Moving back home after you go Bankrupt in the UK

If you are living in England or Wales is that there is no restriction of movement after you have been declared bankrupt. The Law is simply concerned with where you live before the event.

As such you can move back to your home country the day after you declare yourself bankrupt if you wish. You simply need to remain in contact with the Official Receiver in the UK

While you remain bankrupt need to keep the Official Receiver informed of any changes to your financial situation. The payments you make towards your debt may rise if your income increases.

Discharge from bankruptcy will usually be automatic after 12 months whether you have chosen to move back to your home county before then or not.

Arrange a call with a Bankruptcy Expert

Need help with the bankruptcy process?

Privacy Policy
Your information will be held in strictest confidence and used to contact you by our internal team only. We will never share your details with any third party without your permission.